Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Day 2 Questions

-        What did you do today?

    o   Briefly describe your day’s activities
When we reached NTU, Professor Albert I. Chen briefed us about the different requirements needed for microbial growth, including temperature, pH levels, osmotic pressure, nutrients and oxygen. He also taught us about the different agars and which bacteria would grow on them. (EMB - Gram-, MAC - Gram-, MSC - Gram+, PEA/PAA - Gram+). Following that, we collected back our agar dishes and interpreted the results and observations made. We also viewed several bacterial specimens under a microscope after learning how to use one properly. Lastly, we collated the results and what we learnt and put them in a google presentation before presenting to everyone. 





-        What did you learn today?

    o   Discuss any learning points from today’s activities
  • I learnt how to interpret bacteria and determine if the bacteria is gram positive or gram negative based on the agar it is grown in.
  • I learnt how to use a microscope properly and apply oil to the specimen to magnify it.
  • I learnt how to prepare specimen slides. 
  •  I learnt about Gram+ and Gram- bacteria
  • I learnt about the different types of agar and which types of bacteria they grow. 

-        How do you feel about today’s activities?

    o   Describe how the project has affected your understanding of the discipline and how it may be applied elsewhere

    o   Share your insights for the day
  • This project has affected my understanding of the discipline as now that I have a deeper understanding of the different types of pathogenic bacteria and food borne pathogenic bacteria, I can apply it to my daily life by being more cautious when I eat food, and making sure to keep clean to prevent excessive growth of such bacteria. 
  • I have learnt that bacteria can be classified into the 3 shapes, rod, spiral and sphere or into the 2 gram types, gram positive and gram negative.
  • I have also learnt how to use the different agar to identify bacteria



-        What new questions do you have regarding the discipline?

  • What are other ways we can use to determine if bacteria is present?
  • How can we identify individual bacteria?
  • What can be done to kerb pathogenic bacteria growth? 
  • Other than staining, are there any other ways to make bacteria visible?

No comments:

Post a Comment